For Immediate Release
The Arts Council of Tuscaloosa
Contact: Sandra Wolfe
MONSTERS “TAKEOVER” DOWNTOWN TUSCALOOSA
(TUSCALOOSA, Ala.) Multiple locations in downtown Tuscaloosa are the sites of Monster Takeover, an extension of the Monster Makeover program established by the Tuscaloosa News in 2010. Combining the creative talents of local elementary school children and UA students, the Takeover features bronze sculptures placed at various locations in downtown area.
Monster Makeover is an annual program that features the monster drawings of local elementary school students with a different school and grade chosen annually. Their works are imitated and embellished by local artists in the artists’ choices of media and style. The project culminates with an October exhibit featuring the student work displayed alongside the artist’s interpretation.
Monster Takeover utilized the same process as the original program, but the artists were all students in the Department of Art and Art History at The University of Alabama. The UA students’ works, based on past Monster Makeover participants, were all sculpted then cast in bronze. Placed in various locations throughout downtown Tuscaloosa, the monsters are now on public display.
- Harrison Galleries I-Beam, 2315 University Blvd; Student: Lawson Kelly; UA Student: Ringo Lisko
- University Blvd. & 23rd; Student: Lili Gann; UA Student: Kalypso Homan
- 6th & 23rd (Water Collection) under park bench; Student: Natalie Nelson; UA Student: Sarah Murphree
- Light in Government Plaza; Student: Jordyn Green; UA Student: Maddie Kennedy
- Dinah Washington Cultural Arts Center: Greensboro Ave. & 7th St.; Student: Sally Poole; UA Student: Jenn Gault
- Government Plaza, under park bench; Student: Ryan Zheng; UA Student: Jonathan Lanier
- Babe’s Doughnuts, University Blvd. & Greensboro Ave.; Student: Denny Stuffel; UA Student: Josh Dugat
- Government Plaza 6th entrance pillar (crawling toward plaque); Student: Megan Roberts; UA Student: Megan Fletcher
- Bama Theatre, 600 Greensboro Ave.; Student: Dai’Quan O’Neal; UA Student: Zane Boyd
For more information about The Arts Council, Bama Theatre or CAC, patrons should LIKE the Facebook page “The Arts Council – Bama Theatre – Cultural Arts Center” and follow tuscarts on Twitter. Call 205-345-9801 or visit tuscarts.org for further information.